Took a few moments to get animations going. couldn’t resist :)
Obviously its missing animations, parallax layers, the crew interactions, etc… but the heavy lifting is done. Getting the 2d features setup was the main hurdle, as well as learning c#/unity. Tiles now work, my tilesets work, basic input works… yay! Seeing it in action really gets me excited to jump into full blown production. Not yet!
I get my mac tomorrow which Kickstarter has paid for. I’ll be spending the weekend and next week finishing Bitcrobes. I would call it 98% complete, so lets get it done!
So this weekend was MASSIVE. Lots of crazy things to do as an aspiring game dev.
This is my desktop right now. I HATE it. I HATE HATE HATE cluttered desktops. Once Bitcrobes launches, I’m going to clean up EVERYTHING.
Lets itemize whats been going on shall we?
Worked through this and that. Here’s whats left on the to do list (should be finished by this week!)
1) Finish creative mode. Unlocking/sound/debug.
2) Create a tutorial
3) Finalize iAP or ads if I’m going to do it.
4) Launch! no really! I might miss my June 1st release date by a day or two though.
I worked through a LOT of mechanics this weekend. I felt it was a better use of my limited holiday weekend time to jot notes here and there I’m trying to conceptualize the balance of the game before I jump head first into developing it. I did work on spriting recently, and the element I’m most proud of is running template guy:
CROSS PLATFORM DEVELOPMENT
Well, I bit the bullet. Last week from Monday-Friday I read through not just one but two tutorial series on C#. You know, I found it fairly easy to work with and pretty effective. Its neat! I actually built an application already, which I’ll get to later in the post. I’m planning to look into cocos2d-xna + something like xamarin to release to android. It’s pretty expensive though :\. If I’m really at a loss I’ll continue on my c++ route.
That being said, I’m moving to UNITY3d from here on out. I have some small iOS projects I wanna finish (little tiny free games, smaller than Bitcrobes most likely. Friday/Saturday was all about how to use unity. Sunday and today (Monday) was all about using futile (2d framework for unity).
The labor with Futile really came with futile. It does everything I want, except use tile maps. The problem is I would have to take my tilesheet and chop it all up, naming them to coincide with their GID in tiled, then buy texturepacker so I can pack them up and use them. I love TMX format tile maps. So using my amateurish programming skills, and my limited knowledge of c#/unity I dived in to find a solution. No money needed! Here are my results:
So it loads up the TMX map on the screen. I want the spend the week fixing the odd gaps between the tiles, as well as having the player collide with the actual tiles. The platform is FSprite.
For those curious on how I did it (NO DOUBT someone can help me do this better code!) heres what I did:
1) I created a custom TMXMAP object, a custom TMXLayer object (probably not needed really) and a custom TMXTile object.
2) I renamed the extension of the TMX file to a xml (make sure the data type is xml in the editor).
3) I parsed the xml file for basic data, as well as tile position. I placed FSprites where tiles were supposed to be based on that data.
4) Perused/decoded a texturepacker txt file. I needed to copy the format of the file (JSON type I think) to make a simile for my own spritesheet/texture.
5) I wrote a silly program in visual studio 2010 express which took the data from the tmx XML (tile height, tile width, the image name, etc…) as well as the dimensions of the original sprite sheet and output a txt file that is in the same format as a texture packer txt. Pretty much I skipped over learning how to use JSON completely. The only drawback? For some reason the texture’s y values are off. The file that’s outputted has incorrect y values in relations to the sprite sheet. Honestly, the program has no value other than for Unity for Futile for TMX(in xml format) for a single image sprite sheet.
6) I wrote a few custom loaders into FAtlas in Futile just to be sure that it loaded correctly (it wasn’t initially, so instead of problem solving it I went around it)
Heres a video of the little application I made in action
I wouldn’t mind posting the exe, as well as the .cs files for the TMX classes. Send me a message I’ll put it up!
So I’m working through a lot of the mechanics that I’d like to see in Interstellaria. I devote a few minutes to it every night. Usually I run through a feature or do some debugging on Bitcrobes, read some tutorials (currently going back and forth with c++, and c#. Not sure where I’m going next) and then a little time prototyping whats next.
With Interstellaria, I really want there to be a feeling of “The Sims” in the game. I don’t want to go into too many details, so here’s a video.